If this is your first time to the site:

Read an explanation of what the hell is going on here.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

But everyone else was doing it!

So in the spirit of getting things underway with everyone else, I busted out the old emu-later, and my well worn rom of FFVI. Ah nostalgia!

Now, I've had this argument too many times to count, so I'll state my position right now. This is without a doubt my favorite kind of RPG. You have a simple system, with intriguing stories, deep characters, varied game play, evil douche villains and over the top sprite animations to show simple emotion. There is arguably no "main" character to this game. Everyone gets screen time, and everyone has a measurable role in advancing the story. It takes almost no time to work out how to play the game, but provides hours and hours of play time.

I think this is why I've never actually finished. It takes a good solid 40-60 hours to beat this game I'm told. Spread that out over several weeks and some other thing steals my weak as a kitten attention span. I must have about 7 different save files on several different systems and computers. Now arguably I could just boot up one of those and save myself a lot of repeating, but it's been so long, I don't remember half of the puzzles and twists so it feels more fun to go back and be like "oh yeah! That octopus fucker ultrose! I hate that douche!"

And after 2 hours logged, I'm at that exact spot. Floating down the river, and BAM octopus douche. Now for those who don't know/remember, you have this guy Bannon with you, and if he dies, you lose. not a huge deal until you see that Ultrose can one shot the poor schlub, and there's really not a lot to be done, but restart and try again. Not the best example of the finer points of this game, but one of those things that strikes me as defining of the game. You feel accomplished when you roast the bastard and float on victorious, even if you do go over a waterfall 3 seconds later.

We'll see how that damn cephalopod likes a few dozen fire spells to his face tomorrow.

And since Sean rather stunningly failed at a FF haiku *ahem*:

Big purple squid thing.
likes to use his tentacles
fuck, what a douche bag

Chocobo riding,
really just a mini game
but such a great song

The Returners boss
heals like a doctor on speed
'till Ultros ate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment